Friday, September 12, 2014

The Streets of Brazil

Well, it doesn't feel like it but I have now been in the CTM more than half my stay here. It is crazy that in 18 days I will be on the streets, that are quite filthy (I will talk about the streets soon) but I am beyond excited to be in the field. To be honest the CTM isn't that great, I know they say the mission will be hard, but I would much rather be tired from saving peoples souls than sitting in class for 8 hours a day. Some days longer. I will do my best to answer your questions and tell you about the week.

Well, this week started out well, It was fast Sunday, and for the first time in my life I can say I fasted and enjoyed it. We had a devotional and it was fabulous also we had Testimony meeting in sacrament, and Yes i did bare my testimony in Portuguese, well as best as I could. It was a neat experience and i think the language is coming along alright. 

Yes Dad we do teach everyday, they call it TRC, and that is when we are recorded, but we also teach our instructors and “no ingles” as the instructors say (well Mello is the one who always says that.) Barros is the one moving to Bountiful next DEC so he loves speaking english and singing rap songs. He is hilarious. 

So that is all well, and you wont believe the opportunity I had on Wednesday, we got to go out of the CTM not on Pday!!!! That was so so awesome, we went to what Barros said was a "Sketchyer" part of town, and so we only could take our LdM (Book of Mormons) so we didn't get robbed, don't worry mom, the people were actually very friendly. So we each had 2 LdM (Livro de Mormons) to hand out. The first guy we talked to, not only gave us a free bracelet for giving him the book, he said he wanted to be baptized!! So that is awesome.  Barros gave him the number to call the missionaries. We talked to a few more people and handed out the rest of the LdM. The place we went, was in my mission and super i mean super nasty! The bus stop we went to was a square, with a massive yellow church of some religion, that had a ridiculous amount of Graffiti everywhere on it. Then there is so much garbage on the streets and you can see the pollution everyday, and it is super gross. The place we went to hand out LdM was on a bridge that was the "Sell illegal stuff, random stuff, and cheep soccer shorts”. They sold the Adidas shorts, for R$10 which is like $4 back home. So if you guys want some just let me know. But the experience was fun, everyone asked us why 2 white boys from the US were here. We then transitioned well into the lesson. We talked to about 6 or 7 people. the most of which for 20 min each. I love it. That is why, while I can not speak Portuguese as well as I would like, being in the field, is going to be so much better. I loved it. 

Then the next day was one to remember.  While the others teach the teacher, we have to study and other instructors come in and teach us. The irma said "God has a plan for us. Speaking Portuguese is going to be more than just our missions, and God is going to do great things with you.”  That hit me hard. I was like Woah, thats cool. or “Legal” as they say here. That same day a mission president of the Interlagos mission came and gave a wonderful talk. He talked about temple work, and that it is the same work as missionary work. That we need to save our families on the other side of the veil. 
That got me thinking.

Other noteworthy things this week, my companion like “broke" his ankle, or at least from the bloody Mary scream he gave you would have thought so. It did swell up pretty good, and this was on tuesday, so it is better, but he still walks funny. Because of that, I got to be a man-servant for a few days, and actually God is defiantly blessing me because I didn't mind. It was a neat feeling really. 

Even missionaries take bathroom selfies... Me and Elder Hurd
Also this week we said goodbye to our Brazilian roommates. Which was hilarious because I got them all talking about futbol and they all were fighting over whose team was the best. I laughed, and one was actually a RSL fan, I was like, thats my team. So that was fun, I have pictures, I will send soon..  Tell the Carnahan clan that their tie has now been to the Campinas and Sao Paulo temple in Brazil. 

I also have a good scriptures for you mom. D&C 84:80-84 i loved it. and i am sure you will to. Have a great week everyone. I love you all, pray for you everyday, and love serving the Lord more and more each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment